Damrot | Kashi Halwa | Wintermelon Halwa | Dessert
Wintermelon Halwa / Ash Gourd Halwa / Damrot / Kumbalakayi Halwa / Kashi Halwa
Damrot is a very divine delicacy made esp. during marriages, bramhopadesha or special occasions. This also called as "Kashi halwa" in Karnataka. This dessert after tasting will linger in your mind forever. I remember eating Damrot at many special occasions and at home, my mother prepares this dish very often and taught me this fantastic halwa.
Ingredients: 3 cups Grated wintermelon/ash gourd/white gourd (tightly packed shreds without its water)
1 1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Milk powder (or milk Khova or mawa, or unsweetened condensed milk optional)
1 cup Almond flour
1/2 cup Ghee/clarified butter
5 strands Saffron
1 tbsp Ghee/clarified butter to fry the mixed nuts
3 tbsp Mixed nuts of your choice (almonds, cashew, pistachios or walnuts)
1 tbsp Raisins (Optional)
1/2 tsp Ground cardamom, preferably freshly ground
1. Peel the rind of the wintermelon [found in asian grocery store] and deseed, discard the skin and . Grate the melon (if you are preparing a large quantity, you may use a food processor to shred the melon) and squeeze out all the water from the shreds. 2. In a thick bottomed pan heat 1/4 cup ghee and add grated melon and fry until all its moisture is lost for about 15 mins on the stove in medium heat setting.
3. Add the almond flour and fry for another 5 minutes or until the flour is completely incorporated. Now, add the milk powder or khova and blend well into the mixture.
4. Add the sugar(you may increase or decrease the amount of sugar depending on your taste) into the pan and mix well. Stir continuously until the moisture from the sugar is evaporated.
4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix warm milk and saffron strands and let sit for a few minutes before adding it to the pan..
5. When the sugar is completely dissolved add add 1/4 cup ghee and stir for about 5-10 mins or until the mixture starts leaving the sides of the pan and ghee separates out and the halwa rolls into one dough like mass. Now, add 1/2 tsp ground cardamom and combine well. Remove pan from heat and transfer the contents into your favorite serving bowl.
6. In another small pan heat 1 tbsp ghee, fry the mixed nuts of your choice until light golden brown/pink and lastly add raisins and fry for about 30 seconds and switch off the flame just before the raisins start to puff up. Taking care not to burn the almond and cashew.
7. Garnish the halva with the fried mixed nuts and raisins.
8. You may serve it hot/warm on a cold day. Also you may serve with whipped cream or ice cream on top and enjoy the delicious wintermelon halwa.
1. You may use the wintermelon seeds as well if you like (toast them in the oven and add seasonings of your choice for an evening snack) it has a lot of health benefits too.
2. Use the squeezed out water from the melon shreds as a vegetable stock to prepare soups/stews.
3. If you plan to use sweetened condensed milk then add less sugar in the recipe.