Bitter Melon Gojju | Bitter Gourd Gojju | Hagala Kayi Gojju | Sweet and Tangy Curry | Side Dish | Lu
Updated: Dec 14, 2019
Hagalakayi Gojju, a spicy, sweet, bitter and tangy curry
Hagalakayi gojju is a very delicious recipe that includes all a variety of taste [sweet, tangu, sour and bitter).
Bittergourd is a wonderful vegetable that has many medicinal benefits and traditionally in ayurveda Bitter melon/Bitter gourd is used as a stomach ailment remedy, to treat diabetes and insulin resistance and many more uses.
Also, this curry is a popular side dish, cooked at weddings and other large social gatherings in Karnataka.
Bittergourd - 2 (washed, slit lenghtwise, scoop and remove the seeds and cut into tiny bits/cubes)
Curry leaves - 6 Nos
Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp (for tempering)
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Chana dal - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Hing or Asofoteida - 1/4 tsp
Whole dried red chili - 1 No
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
water - 2 cups
Salt - to taste
Tamarind pulp - 3 tbsp (freshly squeezed or store bought pulp) (alter qty according to taste)
Jaggery - 2 tbsp (or any sweetener, I sometimes replace this with brown sugar or coconut sugar)
Gojjina Pudi - 2 tbsp (Gojju curry seasoning powder or Rasam Powder)
Coconut - 3 tbsp (shredded, dried or fresh)
Ghee or Oil - 1 tbsp (optional)
1. Add oil into a wide pan or a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot add mustard seeds and let it splutter (make sure it doesn’t burn, reduce the heat). Now add chana dal, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, asofoetida, whole dried red chili. Fry them a bit.
2. Add the Bitter gourd cubes and stir fry until the bitter gourd cubes turn golden brown, next add turmeric and salt.
3. As soon as the bitter gourd is roasted, add the tamarind pulp and Jaggery ( or you may use honey or Date syrup or any other sweetener of choice) Add a cup of water and boil. Add more sweetener if required.
4. In a blender add the Gojjina Pudi (Curry or Rasam seasoning powder and coconut with a little water) make a paste.
5. Add the seasoning paste into the Sauce pan and add remaining watering if needed, then boil for 5 minutes on a medium to high heat then Simmer for 5 more minutes. Adjust the salt, if needed.
6. Garnish the gojju with cilantro. Now the Sweet and Tangy Bitter Gourd Gojju is ready to serve. Best when eaten with steaming hot plain white/brown rice. Enjoy!
Note: Gojju can be refrigerated for about a week. Every time you may or may not reheat. It tastes best with hot rice with a dollop of ghee on top.